Pages

Tuesday 7 December 2021

Travel and the Working Classes

 Strictly speaking it was my father and all his companions in the Eighth Army who were the first in my immediate family to experience foreign travel.   And as I grew older I learned that he went to a great many places, some of which I had never heard of and had to pretend that I had.   He seemed to enjoy Italy and North Africa above everywhere else, especially North Africa.   Nevertheless after a lot of thought I decided to draw a line under destinations to do with war and concentrate on those I was hopefully about to experience in the post-war future.  

It was annoying to discover that it was my older cousin who was going to be first in the family to leave our place of birth and strike out for foreign places.   To be fair it was simply a long weekend in Paris which later I decided didn’t really count if I didn’t want it to.  Not emerging as the first was a blow to be honest.   If she had still been married to Jack the trip would never have happened in the first place because for one thing he was much more interested in cars than travel and secondly in the drama of the marriage break up Margaret had given up the good, solid job in Dolcis and moved on to what her mother claimed was a much better one, as secretary to a man who was in the Importing/Exporting business.   I was somewhat confused as to how she could be an actual secretary since as far as I knew she was unable to type and she certainly couldn’t do shorthand but when I mentioned this Aunt Mag simply advised me to Button my Lip and added that there was nothing much to typing.   That observation didn’t please me at all because I had recently spent three years at Wombwell Hall acquiring that particular skill, but I buttoned my lip as directed because back then as a teenager, largely you did.  

My mother agreed that it was odd to be able to get a job as a secretary if you couldn’t type but on the other hand you could go to night school and learn easily enough and in fact perhaps that’s what she’d done because there were no flies on Margaret and she was a quick learner.   Anyway the job did not simply involve typing letters, she had to organise meetings and do travel bookings as well and act as receptionist in the Dartford office so she now had a weekly appointment booked at Gloriette’s in Crayford for a shampoo and set.  Aunt Mag said it was a Responsible Position and not one that every girl would be able to do.   She gave me a long, hard look as she said this which was annoying.     Margaret was living at her mother’s place at the time because Jack had refused to leave the flat in Slade Green but it was not something any of us talked openly about because back then you didn’t.  Instead we were directed to admire her new high heeled shoes and the pleated skirt that swished and swung pleasingly when she walked ensuring she looked every inch the high powered 1950s PA.  These were things it would have been impossible for her to buy all the while Jack had an interest in the spending.    On the other hand marriage break-ups were nothing to be proud of and that was a fact

The Paris trip was something that was definitely discussed in some detail and it took place at Easter that year, and was all to do with an urgent job the new boss had to carry out.   It entailed four nights in a hotel with a swimming pool and a restaurant where each female diner was given a rose.   I wondered how Margaret coped with the rose because she suffered badly from hay fever at the time and said she was adversely affected by flowers.  What’s more she certainly had never learned to swim as far as I knew so would be unable to take advantage of the swimming pool.   My mother said to Aunts Martha and Maud that if you believed the story about the urgent job that could not be done either before or after the Easter break then you’d believe anything.   She said nothing to Aunt Mag of course because although she had of late been very talkative about travel she was certainly not inviting questions on the topic.

When she returned I was more than keen for Margaret to tell me all about Paris but she seemed quite reticent to do so and her answers to my eager questions were uncharacteristically taciturn.   It was all most unsatisfactory.   It was around this time that some of her sudden reputation for international travel had to be shared with another Cousin – Aunt Martha’s June who had just married a young man whose name escapes me but who had several years’ experience in the plumbing trade.   It was at their engagement party that June announced their intention to leave Crayford for a life in South Africa which was a lot further away than Paris as most of us realised.   She made several announcements at the party, one of which was that at her upcoming wedding she did not want any of the women in the family wearing dangly plastic ear rings because in her opinion they had a common, vulgar look about them.    Being fond of plastic ear rings at the time, especially dangly ones, I recall feeling almost as offended as I felt when she did in fact leave the back bedroom in her mother’s house in Mayplace Avenue for a new life in Cape Town.   Unlike Margaret, Cousin June was more than keen to tell us all about her new life, especially about the fact that she now had a woman come in each week to do the ironing and she wrote excited letters back, mostly to Crayford but once or twice to us in Northfleet also. 

Meanwhile, yet another cousin, Connie from Waterdales, my father’s side of the family, was making preparations to join her fiancé Mick the Builder in Auckland, New Zealand and the long boat trip was going to take her to a number of places that so far both of us had only read about in books.   I had to accept the fact that I was definitely not going to be the first and that was palpable because as a group the lower classes were beginning to move out of the confines of the demographic they had always occupied.  They were studying brochures, beginning to realise that it wasn’t necessary to always spend holidays at Tankerton caravan and chalet camps or even Butlins at Skegness, and gathering the necessary courage to make applications for passports.   And getting a passport, Aunt Mag said, was not as easy as you might imagine because there were forms as long as your arm to be filled in.

As someone who definitely considered that I ought to be at the forefront of all that was seen as in step with the times even if it was glaringly obvious that I was not, it was sobering to be so clearly lagging behind.   I wondered why it was and after consideration decided that it had something to do with not being part of a couple.   As a couple it seemed to be in many ways easier to make decisions and act upon them and most importantly to be able to finance them.   There wasn’t a great deal that could be done with a mere five pounds weekly wage as a shorthand typist when I was regularly paying both the Provident Society and the Typewriter Shop near the station on a regular basis.   This was also a time when males, even those under twenty, were still paid significantly above women.  

In fact I was not to become launched into exotic places for another two years and as I had suspected it came about when I became part of a couple though a not particularly wholesome or stable couple and a short term one of necessity.   I didn’t actually mind any of that terribly especially in retrospect because Luuk Nijhof, Radio Veronica’s Technical Director, fitted the bill well enough.   He was a rather charismatic Dutch sound engineer who later turned out to be a heating engineer and knew little about the intricacies of sound.   But this understanding and awareness came only after the money that should have been spent on a radio transmitter had been spent on living the high life in London and Amsterdam.    It’s a long and perhaps familiar story and culminated in him serving a prison sentence.  However, the short period that preceded that was filled with excitement as we hopped from one five star hotel to the next, shopped in Bond Street and most importantly filled in those forms as long as your arm that resulted in a passport.   At last I was pleasingly embarked upon foreign travel!  What more could a girl from Gravesend want?

What I did not anticipate was the change in the way all of us began to view travel ensured that even my mother became a passport holder before too long and made regular trips to Southern Spain to the rather splendid holiday home now owned by Margaret and the New Boss who had in the interim become her New Husband.   This change in his status meant that it was no longer acceptable to discuss him in derogatory terms or make reference to her previous husband who still occupied the flat in Slade Green. 

No comments:

Post a Comment