Pages

Saturday 28 November 2020

Is It Normal.......?

 

It is now six long weeks since Himself departed this life.   I wish I could say I was becoming accustomed to his absence but I can’t.   I’m still of the opinion that snatching him away before I had actually properly absorbed the fact that he was terminally ill was unreasonable, unwarranted.   I was always hopeful that something, somehow would save him but of course that wasn’t going to happen.  Is it normal to be so naïve?  

 

Sometimes when I walk down the stairs, for a moment or two thinking of something else, just for a milli-second I fancy that I see him sitting in his usual place, hunched over a book and I am stopped in my tracks.   There follows a searing flash of pain because it is just a momentary illusion and I remind myself that the self same whim followed the death of a long ago cat, Heidi, who always sat beneath the Feijoa tree in Kohimarama – and continued to do so in the months that followed her demise.   Is it normal to imagine things?

 

At times I am eclipsed on all sides by well-meaning people, good friends who want to help me and are undeterred by my rudeness and lack of response.   I still resist answering the phone because largely I just wish to be left alone.   I don’t know how to decline kind offers and company.  It seems preferable to simply fail to engage than have to explain.  If and when I recover from the worst of this onslaught of misery some of them might still be there and willing to re-engage.   I know that many will not and am surprised at how little I care.   Is this lack of concern normal?

 

I admit to cherry picking the occasional company of a select few and surprise myself with the choice that seems to defy rhyme or reason.   Though communing with those who demand little is easy and comfortable, whereas others can unexpectedly provoke endless memories of times shared – little pools of tears.  And my reservoir of sorrow grows and extends into a future that seems bleak and black.   Is this lack of hope normal?

 

It is as ever, comforting that in the final months of his life Himself was supported and loved by the presence of two of our three children.  I could not have managed without them.  I now have to wonder if my present level of despair is because that time was not as perfect as it should have been – because he was not loved unreservedly as a good father should be and as he deserved to be.   Are these feelings of bitterness normal?

2 comments:

  1. Complex thing grief Jean...Its insidious and downright bloody awful.But it seems to follow the same course in everyone who is bereaved it seems..Its evil.But the way forward is slow and tearful.Some days you need to talk to someone.Some days you need to be alone..Some days you need to go out..Some days you dont want to get out of bed....Like you,you sometimes think you have a glimpse of them,only to look again,and it's gone.Its as if grief is playing with those who are left behind.Its a terrible emotion for us to bare,I hate it..I realise that the only cure is time,only time...I wish I could wave a magic wand for you Jean,and I would make things as they were for you and Hank
    .But I havnt I'm afraid.All there is is time.Look towards the future and the thought that within that future lovley warm and bright memories will go with you locked in your heart...And like me, as time passes you remember with smiles not tears...Keep safe Jean.Im so sorry for your sad loss.I can see in your writing that you are suffering you poor girl.And I wish it was different for you....GG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - communing with those who actually understand is indeed a comfort but why oh why does it all have to be so bloody hard? Hank was an intrinsically good human being and never spoke ill of anyone. He was an optimist and was quite sure he would get a cure. I realised that he wouldn't but somehow that hope invaded common sense and I too began to believe it just a little. How foolish of me.

      Delete