Pages

Monday 19 September 2022

C o r o n a t i o n D a y

 

I remember Coronation Day 1953 very well indeed and that’s because it was my thirteenth birthday.   I was a teenager at last, it was a Tuesday and by rights we should have been at school but instead a Public Holiday had been declared, what my mother and the aunts called a Bank Holiday.      Twenty miles up river in London apparently it was raining but in our part of North Kent the sun shone, at least that’s how I remember it and what’s more a Street Party had been organised.  The Street Party was not the only unusual and exciting event because someone highly pro-active had also organised a Fancy Dress Parade and someone else was to judge a York Road, Shepherd Street & Surrounding Areas Talent Contest.

The lead up to the day seemed to involve endless conversation between my mother and her favourite sister about what had happened before the War when the now deceased King George VI had been forced to take on the burden of kingship because of his wayward brother and that American Hussy who had waltzed into his life and tempted him.   It was all reminiscent of Harry & Meghan eight decades later only not nearly as shocking because at least The Royals of the time had not been accused of Racism.   There seems to have been a lot more basic respect for Royalty back then and quite apart from that Racism didn’t feature in everyday conversation nearly as much as it does now. If we indulged in prejudice and bigotry we certainly didn’t realise it.   My Grandmother focussed more on the coronation of the previous Monarch, George V which was also held in June but way back in 1911 and followed hard on the heels of the Empire Festival at Crystal Palace.   She and her Edgar had joined the throngs lining the streets outside the Abbey together with Little Maggie and Nellie and Martha and Maudie, all waving flags.   Maudie was still a baby bless her heart but she was very knowing even then and she screamed blue murder until she got her own flag.  All of the little buggers dropped their flags when Edgar bought them toffee apples of course but then what else could you expect?  It was unclear as to whether there had been a street party back then or if in fact the family managed to get back to Maxim Road, Crayford to take part in it if there was.

There was no chance of us missing the York Road party all those years later because the day’s various activities had been cleverly staggered in order that none of us should miss a single moment of the fun if at all possible.    In fact the very first event was the Fancy Dress Parade and I was definitely going to take part as a Crinoline Lady.   My mother had always been overly fond of Crinoline Ladies and bought endless embroidery kits featuring them which became table cloths and cushions.    She had also become adept over the years at making costumes out of crepe paper and now I can see she harboured a strong creative streak which when I was young I failed to appreciate.    Using an old petticoat or similar suitable garment as the base, frill upon frill of pink and blue crepe were attached to great effect and in no time at all I emerged from number 28 looking for all the world like an extra in Gone With The Wind.   You can see why I felt sure I would win one of the prizes – jigsaw puzzles of the golden coach, but of course even back then the prizes went to those who had come as cardboard boxes or balls of wool, and that’s always been the case.   Anyway my poor mother was more disappointed than I was.

So we didn’t miss the street party and I even had time to change out of my crepe paper costume back into whatever else I was required to wear that day before attacking the fish paste sandwiches, lemon jellies and jam doughnuts that were piled up on the trestle tables in the road.   I don’t know where the tables had come from but Alan Bardoe said knowledgeably that they had been hired.  I had no real idea of what that meant at the time.   We did have to bring our own chairs, however.    During the party our photographs were taken many times and then we sang songs before dispersing, most of us towards the Talent Competition which was taking place outside The Prince Albert in Shepherd Street.  

It had inevitably been suggested that I enter the event singing Bless This House or even We’ll Meet Again but I did not have the confidence in my singing voice that my mother had.   Molly, who had a much better voice than I did, considered entering with a Doris Day song, favouring The Silvery Moon but changed her mind.   In the end it seemed that only the more determined and hardy souls among us or maybe just those with the pushiest mothers actually fronted up to display our talents on the day.

Rita Jenkins did a tap dance dressed as a Dutch doll and wearing one of her famous embroidered bonnets of which she seemed to have a great many.   In my opinion she was now becoming too old to emulate dolls of any description and in any case now I had reached the great age of thirteen I had stopped being jealous of her for being allowed dancing lessons in the first place - and I had been thirteen for a number of hours.  So I agreed with Molly when she observed that Rita had done quite well.  A girl with a great deal of confidence who was, her mother said, as keen as mustard on ballet, performed what seemed like a complicated ballet routine whilst an elderly relative played a piano accompaniment from inside the pub.  There wasn’t wholehearted approval of her because apparently she wasn’t local enough.    A small group from the Baptist Sunday School sang a rousing hymn and Betty Haddon sang Alice Blue Gown which she was always willing to sing given half a chance.   Little Elsie from Buckingham Road who was wheelchair bound was supposed to recite a poem about a mouse but she got an attack of nerves at the last minute and burst into tears instead.

As we watched Molly said that we should have performed a One Act Play because there were plenty to choose from that needed just two actors.    Although both of us at that time were keen on a future in acting, me in the London Theatre and she in Hollywood, I was quite glad that we had avoided it on this occasion.  Serious acting I felt was not going to earn total support in York Road and in any case I didn’t really know any one act plays for two performers and I doubted if Molly did either.  Later she said well if we couldn’t find one in the library we could have written one ourselves and I was even more doubtful.

There were a number of other hopeful contestants but most of them I have no memory of at all.   To my mind in any case the star of the show was most definitely Colin Bardoe, Alan’s twin, who had a good, strong singing voice and sang a song about dying in the desert under the Libyan sun which was very sad.  I can still remember him with his head held high and plenty of dramatic gestures.  I can’t actually recall if he did win the five shilling postal order but he certainly should have done.  As far as I recollect he didn't even have a pushy mother.   No matter what the neighbours thought of Colin, and back then his insistence on playing with the girls rather than the boys did provoke a certain amount of disapproval, he had a lively and engaging personality coupled with an ability most of us lacked.  Of all the contestants he is the one who still stands out vividly in memory for me.    

Of course by 1953 a number of our neighbours had already acquired television sets on the Never-Never and were watching the proceedings at Westminster from the comfort of their living rooms but mostly with the street doors open so they could exit with ease if something more exciting happened outside.   The more generous hearted among them invited a selection of the neighbours to join the viewing and some of the Best Front Rooms, normally only used at Christmas, were filled to bursting point with interested adults standing or perched on the sides of sofas and children crammed on the floor.

Our family was not to feature among those who could afford modern technology for some years to come and even Aunt Mag was not to reach that dizzy zenith until 1955 so I suggested to Molly, who was in the same situation, that we simply peer through windows from time to time which we did.  Meanwhile my little brother waited hopefully for Hedley Davis to invite him in because Hedley had told him the Davis family were definitely going to buy a TV set in time for the Coronation.   Whether they did or not I still don’t know but poor Bernard definitely wasn't invited in.

No comments:

Post a Comment