Pages

Thursday 1 September 2022

The Depositing of Ashes . . . . .


It had taken more than eighteen months to do something seemly, appropriate even with his human remains.   The pale wooden box containing the ashes, all that was left of him, had stayed on the rarely ever used cane tea trolley from the day they were delivered to me by Davis Funerals.   To be honest I had at first imagined I would find that situation quite macabre but as the months passed it was strangely comforting to have him there.   I could place my hand on the box and talk to him and wonder if he somewhere, somehow heard me.  In fact I developed a regular habit of speaking with him, often as I walked the streets of Parnell compliantly getting the daily exercise that was supposed to be good for my back.  Later I conversed with him in London and then I cried more than I had in Auckland because he should have been there, walking alongside me. 

It would be true to say that I did not deal with his death as well as I might have done and probably that was simply because in a disturbingly infantile manner I refused to believe that it had actually happened.   Somehow or other providence should have intervened like a good fairy at a story book christening ensuring that normal life be restored in all its predictable certainty.   But that wasn’t ever going to happen was it?  The B-cell Lymphoma did not allow for such an outcome and as a doctor’s wife over so many years I should have realised that very well, except that I didn’t.   So I withdrew into a mini-fortress, did not answer the telephone, and threw away the endless flowers that relentlessly and exasperatingly arrived day after day.  The neighbours, witnessing the latter piece of eccentricity gaped and I smiled and might have even wished them Good Morning.      

There was definitely not going to be a funeral.  He and I had at least discussed that and I told him it was never going to happen and disapproving friends and colleagues could think whatever they liked.  Perhaps I imagined that if there was no funeral – (oh the finality of such a thing) – possibly there had been no death.  He elicited a promise that I would at least put a notice in the New Zealand Herald and I agreed that I would.   And then he asked me what I would do with his remains.   Ideally, he said, and with only slight hesitation, and only if I felt able to do so, he wished for his ashes to be scattered in the South Island, in Oamaru, perhaps Dunedin and at Whitechapel by the Arrow River – and if I could face it, some in London because it was a place that held many precious memories.    He told me he realised I might find it very testing to make any promise in this respect and so I didn’t.   He understood me well of course after so many years.

He slipped from life without too much kerfuffle, grateful for the morphine that gave some respite from what he was by that stage calling his Galaxy of Pain.   And I withdrew from life also for the most part, avoiding human contact where possible, crying torrents of tears, throwing flowers away and watching Coronation Street where Leanne’s little boy, Oliver, was struggling with a life-threatening illness, a story line that at the time seemed comforting.     A modicum of solace also came from those who also coped with the death of someone greatly loved but I was astonished to feel fury and resentment at others whose nearest and dearest were still living.  This I concluded was because, as I had long suspected, I was not a very nice person; no surprises there then. 

He had died on a Sunday morning in October 2020, leaving me emotionally stranded, astonished that it had actually happened.   Several people said I would feel a little better in six months but in April 2021 I felt the same, missing him as fiercely as ever, still weeping copious tears on a regular basis, still avoiding social contact as much as possible.   The people I agreed to see and speak with were very few and I used every possible excuse I could dream up not to attend groups I had somehow or other been cajoled into joining - even the Zoom meetings.  I became eternally grateful for Covid lockdowns because month after month I was most at ease when completely alone except for laptop, Ipad and Patrick’s collection of CDs that for a number of years had been left in my care.    The world’s greatest violinists were eternally helpful, the musical genius of Menuhin, Heifetz, Hassid, Huberman, Kreisler and Ricci was infinitely sustaining.   Outside my cocoon of misery normal life continued to jog along of course but after eighteen months for me it was still mostly long dead violinists and the ashes on the cane trolley.  

It was Sinead who urged me to consider some positive action as far as a farewell to her father was concerned.   It was time to do so she thought, and she would come from London and give help and direction.   We would go to the South Island and visit all the places that had been important to him, and then go on to London and do the same.   It might turn out to be difficult but we could be certain he would be proud of us.   And so it was agreed.

In the end three of us set off South early in May 2022.   Patrick joined us and we were in good spirits, keen to rediscover favoured and significant places in Dunedin and Oamaru once more and perhaps with just a little difficulty find the site of Whitechapel on the Arrow River where the previously Jewish Harrises, confusingly each generation possessed of the name Samuel Lewis or Lewis Samuel, ditched their former customs and traditions and became Anglican.   We had been told that this dismissal of heritage was not particularly unusual at that time and we were content to believe what we were told.  

The mission was seamlessly accomplished and by the last week in May we were already deep in plans for a return to London, though sadly without Patrick who was unable to extricate himself from his workload.   Sinead and I would go together and I was to stay for three months and become re-acquainted with all that I had left behind me in my favourite city nearly five decades previously.  

And it wasn’t just going to be a trip down Memory Lane because my daughter was eager to show me her new house, ideally situated in an area of Hackney called De Beauvoir Town in honour of Richard de Beauvoir who in 1640 bought up a large amount of local farmland.  Further down the track in the nineteenth century a keen descendent began to build houses on the land which was fortunate for women like Sinead, intent upon becoming owners of acceptably priced Victorian properties.  We both agreed that her father would have been extraordinarily proud of her and perhaps more than a little bit envious because his own ambition had been to become a London property owner.  The closest he came to fulfilling the dream was the acquisition we made together of a tiny basement flat in Cloudesley Square, Barnesbury and even then financial constraints forced us to sell it within a year.   

Now in mid 2022 it was from the house in De Beauvoir Town that I set out again and again on journeys of re-discovery.    And once more, somewhat predictably, I demonstrated to myself that I was still unable to come to terms with the death of the man I had been married to for forty-eight years.   Again I walked the streets in tears and conversed with him, fervently wishing that the last year of his life could have been lived with less pain.  And on a daily basis I berated the son who had caused us so much misery by ignoring the terminal illness and then the death of the father who had loved him so much -  and I lauded and was thankful for the son and daughter who demonstrated on a daily basis their deep regard, their love and their care and concern.

Over those three months we made pilgrimages to his favourite pubs, in total forty such excursions and from time to time we wondered which had been our own favourites, in finality deciding upon The Old Mitre, The Princess Louise, The Cittie of York, The Black Friar, The Mayflower and The Barley Mow.    And of course we went to the restaurant in Maiden Lane that had meant so much to both of us – Rules.   In fact, ignoring the expense, we went there twice.   

I was in the final weeks of my visit when we at last spoke of the London scattering of ashes.   We walked at dusk to the Holy Trinity Church in Cloudesley Square, comfortably bounded on all sides by Georgian houses where Sinead had made a ritual visit at the time of his death armed with candles and melancholy memories.  And as previously she determinedly provided a link with Patrick in Auckland via her phone and the wonders of modern technology.   This final dissemination felt like completely losing him and it was gruelling though I was comforted by Sinead’s assertion that we had now created a physical place where it was possible to stop by and reminisce about his life and that part of him would always be there.

Gordon James Harris, an ordinary man, came into our lives at a time when he was sorely needed, when I was in dire need of someone to depend upon and Patrick just four years old, longed for a father.  He more than fulfilled all our hopes and expectations.  He was an exemplary husband and father and became dearly loved and greatly respected.   His daughter’s resolve, her relentless organisational skills have allowed us to ensure that his mortal remains have been deposited with certainty in the places he would have most wanted to be.

A week or two ago when I returned to New Zealand I was oddly cheered to see that the pale wooden box that had once contained his ashes was still in place on the rarely used cane tea trolley.  I can still reach out and speak with him at will.

No comments:

Post a Comment