Pages

Monday 17 November 2014

Ten Dollar Tuesday



We were on the way back from The Hearing Clinic and it was just after midday when the husband noted that we had not had a cup of coffee that morning.
`It’s a bit late for coffee……’   But he brushed me aside and headed towards the fortuitously vacant parking space directly outside SeaCow in Mission Bay.
Really?   Coffee at SeaCow?    I followed him inside the cafĂ©.  He was already in earnest conversation with the young woman behind the counter.  She was explaining that it was Ten Dollar Tuesday and we could choose Fish of the Day battered, grilled or crumbed, or Mussels cooked the French way or even squid or scallops if we preferred.  All would come with chips, salad, and a side sauce at ten dollars per person.
He ordered grilled Dory and a glass of white wine (a small extra charge for this) – I said I would have the same.
We sat upstairs and had a view over the beach with Rangitoto in the background.  The sun was shining and we both agreed this was surely the best value in the city.
The fish was absolutely splendid.  It was very fresh and lightly cooked.  The chips were crisp and crunchy.   To my mind it was a tinsy bit early in the day for wine but there you go;  you can’t have everything.
`I’m not cooking dinner tonight,’ I warned him between mouthfuls.   He didn’t hear me.

No comments:

Post a Comment