Pages

Thursday 27 November 2014

The Sad Demise of Cheques



I really do try to make all payments on line these days.  I know that’s what we’re supposed to do and in any case I’m all for it.  Overall it makes life easier and my own cheque books lie folorn and unused at the bottom of the filing cabinet.  I haven’t written out a cheque for several years.  
I know I’m not exaggerating and  it really is that long because it’s now almost a decade since I gave up running the After Hours Emergency Medical Centre, or to be more honest, it gave me up.   The nursing staff fancied themselves at the cutting edge as far as technology was concerned and were consequently disinclined to take wage cheques along to the bank once they realized that with the flick of a staff meeting  and the mere hint of asking the advice of the Nurses’ Union they could instruct me to pay them on line. So you see, I have been not just going with the flow but really trying for at least as long as it takes a new born baby to grow into a high school uniform.
WHY is it then that Renewing a Motor Vehicle Licence on line yesterday was so grueling?  Why were the instructions so confusing?   What on earth was a `Poli'?  Why could I not locate the mysterious Special Code was that had apparently been texted to me?  Why did I need it?  After an hour and a half, if I could have found the slumbering cheque books I would have used one!

No comments:

Post a Comment